Saturday, May 7, 2011

Diet + Eating + Some Other Stuff

Friday Morning

Thank you to the yogi that noticed I had my shorts on backwards this morning before class!  Eventually in the future, I’ll get this morning business down  :) Jay from Buenos’s Aries taught us!  It was awesome, good energy, kept us going but not in an obnoxious way, and he taught a little bit in Spanish too!  It was a little difficult to follow because even though we know the postures you have to pay more attention.  It was so smooth and nice to listen to.  

A little bit on diet + eating I’ve wanted to share…

Doing double classes each day for nine weeks is not normal, so it’s important to keep a healthy strong diet to support it.  Natural Electrolytes are the best to keep us all going and to avoid dehydration.  Raj gave us a simple recipe of water, honey, sea salt, and lemon juice to create a natural beverage full of electrolytes.  It’s so refreshing at ‘party time’ and so needed.  Try it!  A lot of foods, beans, bananas, spinach, carrot juice, potatoes, and coconut water are high in potassium and also keep us strong.  The teachers don’t recommend supplements, as everything you need you can get naturally from food.  

I’ve been very healthy but also adapting to what my body needs and giving into my cravings – salt and vinegar chips!  The salt feels so good on my sore throat and the sodium really helps.  I'm going to miss Trader Joes when I head back.

We’re also drinking about 6 liters of water a day so it’s easy to feel bloated and full with all the water weight.  Once we sweat it out, we look good!  And you should see our skin!  I’m not even using any skin care products at all!  If you know me, that is absolutely not true to my form, I’m addicted to expensive skin care!  It’s amazing what sweating out toxins twice a day does for your whole body.

Friday afternoon we had Anatomy.  It was sooo long.  I was falling asleep again.  Everyone was, sleep police were on the prowl again.  At one point, Dr. Preddy said something about his favorite vein and how everyone has a favorite vein, and I shout out Ice Cream!  I thought he said, thing, everyone has a favorite thing.  Thank god he didn’t hear me, but I gave our row a good laugh.  This week alone we covered the bones, skeletal system, muscles, and nervous system.  I’m not excited about the quiz on Monday but my plan is to study all weekend.

Okay!  Party time is over – time to lock the knee for class!

PS - Thank you for my letters Erika, Jack, and Jenn – Happy Birthday week!  Happy Birthday Aunty Margie!  :)


Friday Night

Friday night class!  Raj…. Is the best!  I setup directly in front again while I can to kill myself.  Each day our group will go move back a row then start at the top again, I hate being in the 10th row.  Anyway, she called out my name ‘Kara Mia’ during Tulandandasana and the way she said it reminded me exactly of how my Nona says it with her Italian accent :)  I was smiling the whole class.  Then!  Her daughter came in at the end with a giant birthday cake for her birthday tomorrow!  We all sang happy birthday and she had tears in her eyes she was so happy.  We all got to have a piece after class too, red velvet David Steady!  A great way to just about end the week.  

We had posture clinic tonight but still had a lot of Eagles to present.  Aaron from Boston was our teacher so I was hoping to do my standing head to knee pose but we only had time to finish the Eagles.  Monday it is!  

After clinic, I checked my mail and realized I had four letters!  I thought the hotel would notify us but I guess that’s not true.  I sat down in the lobby and read each one.  Thank you Louise, Mom, Zach, and Marissa.  I cried for a good fifteen minutes I was so happy with all of the lovely thoughts you sent me.  It’s so easy to get emotional out here with the demands of the training and the lack of sleep.  It was good happy moment and close to a 15 hour day :) Thank you for making my day :) 

I know I’ve said this before, but I am so grateful to have been trained by such strong teachers back East :) You all continue to inspire me while I’m here.  Every now and again, a teacher here will say something or do something that reminds me of each one of you in different ways.  It’s really quite nice :)

Oh!  I almost forgot to tell you!  Guess what Bikram and I have in common!  We both equally hate dogs!  More on that later!  

Discomfort motivates change. Discomfort in all the realms of the human process creates an opportunity for transformation. Mental, physical, emotional and spiritual challenges are all present in our day to day lives. Teacher training accelerates that process but in a supported environment. Looking at each challenge as an opportunity for growth creates a positive vibration. Imagine you are on a rocket ship headed for an incredible positive outcome ~ Jacqueline, one of our teachers :)

1 comment:

  1. Yay Kara - Sounds like you are doing really well! I am hoping that you get to enjoy a relaxing Sunday with your new friends :)

    ReplyDelete