Saturday, May 21, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

This week, the entire left side of my body has been like the ‘junkyard body’ especially my knee.  Right side, no problem.  I have been struggling hard through class which is so frustrating to me.  I actually cramped up a few times which hasn’t really happened to me yet.  I kept thinking all week that maybe sore and sleep deprived is the new normal and it’ll work itself out. 
   
I got a little curious and wandered in the gift shop to see if they may have any Tiger Balm or Icy Hot.  I’ve never used it before, and I kept seeing yogis with it, so maybe I just needed a little something to ease the pain.  Wow – there was only one left.  I took it as a sign to try something new and picked it up. 
 
At first, I only put a little on my knee.  Nothing really happened so I put more on.  Then I figured, while I’m at it, I’ll just put it all over my sore legs and see what happens.  I ended up using half the tube waiting for some kind of effect.  Still nothing happened, what a waste of $9.00 I thought. 

So I carried on to Posture Clinic in the afternoon and then our 5 pm class.  Hmm, immediately during pranayama breathing my legs started to tingle and heat up a bit.  It felt so good at first!  Then, as soon as we hit the second set of Half Moon, my legs were on fire.  I kept saying, it’s okay just breathe through it, you’ll be okay, just breathe.  It felt like I was being dipped into boiling water.  I couldn’t take it, it was unbearable, the worst pain I’ve ever felt.  I ran out of the room – (first time ever in my entire yoga career - major sad face). 

I saw the nurse that is always stationed just outside of the hot room in the medical tent.  She said just rinse it off with soap and water in the bathroom and get right back in the hot room.  So I did.  I came back during the last set of Eagle.  I did Standing Head to Knee and the sensation immediately came back, even worse.  I don’t know what it’s like to run through fire, but if I had to guess, this was an equal feeling.  My legs and turned bright red, swelled up, and flared up with a rash.  I really thought burning flames were about to blast out of my thighs.  I could even see the lotion starting to drip out of my system and down my calf muscles.  I started crying during standing bow and lost it.  Uncontrollably crying.  The worst pain of my life.  Absolute worst!  

I sat down and watched the class through my tears.  All I wanted to do was run out of the room and get in the shower.  Andrew, Dee, Ellen, Erin, Dayle, thank you for the love and huge amounts of ice.  I cried all the way to the floor series and didn’t do a single posture until half tortoise poise, and even that was painful.  I pushed through the final postures of class still crying but saying ‘you can do this, mind over matter, do the posture and try and forget about the pain’.  All the time, I kept thinking ‘well, that’s what I get for not being smart and at least reading the directions, how could I be 30 years old and not know how to use this stuff?!  Stupid!’  I mean the pain was worse than when I broke bones and bruised my entire body in a serious car accident and was on morphine pills.  Worse!

So I missed out on what sounded like a great class with Stacey from Las Vegas.  I learned a lesson I should I have learned long ago regarding medicated lotions.  I learned about compassion.  I learned how to trick my mind during times of suffering.  Above all, I learned how grateful I am to be surrounded by such wonderful people.  When I thought I was going to die, you helped me.  Sometimes, both in the hot room and in life, we have to go through the bad and the ugly, to get to the good. 
Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Kara, you poor thing! This reminds me of years ago when I cut habanero peppers with my bare hands. The oil from the peppers burned for days and I couldn't sleep it was so bad. But lesson learned, I always use gloves now when I cut peppers! ;) I am so impressed with how you always find the lesson and the good in the bad and the ugly. You are inspiring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara - that sounds just awful. I have used medicated creams before and when I started reading your blog and thinking she feels nothing - that's odd - then whammo!!!!! It hits. The strength it took to stay in that room must have been crazy. So glad that experience is behind you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Karamia I was so sad reading that .... tears were coming to my eyes I KNOW the pain you felt with the car accident and i cant even imagine you going through any worse pain than that And to top it off being in the HOT room Funny thing is that i skipped the gym to stay home yesterday I wanted to watch OPRAH being that her shows are coming to an end Anyway she had on her most inspiring guests One guest was in a car accident,,,drunk teenage driver hit her..and her entire face was burned .The car caught on fire and she was trapped in it !! HORRIBLE !!! I felt so bad for her Little did i know you were BURNING in the HOT room YET you always remain soooo positive and learn something from it. WOW is all i can say and I LOVE YOU xoxoxoxooxoxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxooxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi

    this post made me laugh so hard even though i don't mean to.

    i've been reading your journey through bktt and haven't commented til today.let's just say i've learned my lesson with tiger balm with a lot less pain. hopefully it's all gone now. it literally is like fire on your skin. and fire while in the torture chamber? i'd send you a hug if i could, but that might hurt too.

    anyways, i'm blabbing. i'm enjoying your posts and good luck with the rest of bktt!

    L

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH my gosh Kara, You poor thing! I use tiger balm and when it was not available used icy hot. I only had it on a minute, a very small amount but immediately, I must of had a allergic reaction to it, because the area swelled up, I got huge hives and had to "TRY" and wash it off, but it is too late by that point. I think it actually left burns. I feel your pain, if I used that much I would have dialed 911 from my yoga mat. It sounds like you used too much and also had a allergic reaction to it. either way, It was so hard to read this post. I hope you are all better!
    PS. Cant wait to have you teach our class during the 30 day challenge!

    ReplyDelete