Sunday, May 8, 2011

Weekend


Saturday Morning’s class with Jacob was just okay.  The 11th class of the week is definitely when the dead meat muscles don’t move much for me.  However, it’s also refreshing in a way to know it’s the last scheduled thing we have to do to end the week.  Actually, last night in posture clinic, I was thinking of ways to negotiate with our teachers to keep on going presenting postures for 90 minutes in exchange for sleeping in and not having morning class.  Creative, but didn’t quite work.
 
This afternoon I studied, studied, and studied the dialogue.  Then, I crashed and took an unintended 3 hour nap!  Leesann and I woke up starving for dinner and got ready as fast as if we had only 10 seconds to get down 8 flights not to miss a sign in!  I ended up walking down to In and Out Burger with Steve and Alex, and we bumped into a pack of yogis on the way and joined up.  What makes those burgers so good! 

When we got back, I visited Molly’s room with Adrienne for a little bit for an informal birthday gathering.  I then found my way back down our hallway and landed in an Anatomy Study group.  Alex, thank you for being you!  Alex is a physical therapist and he walked us a through the Skeletal System, Muscular System, and Nervous Systems again.  It was a late night but so unbelievably helpful to re-understand the processes from this week and not just memorize it.  It’s actually exciting in a way to relate the anatomy to the body and to the yoga.  Thank you!  And, the story of how you found your kitten is the absolute best!

My anatomy study habits have gotten weird, but effective.  Shannon, there is so much about the nervous system that links to you – there are 12 cranial nerves, the nerve that has the most far-reaching effects is the Vagus Nerve but sounds like Vegas Nerve – can you see how you are going to help me get through this section on the test?  It’s pretty neat.

Today, Sunday, I’ve been relaxing, sleeping, and studying.  I’m still not 100% healthy and really hoped to kick this cold by the end of weekend.  I’m so exhausted and so drained.  I forget what it feels like to just feel normal.  Happy Mother’s Day today to my most wonderful Mom!  I loved my letter today, thank you, and I loved talking to you.  I’ve been getting really homesick from time to time and more so this weekend.  I wonder why because it’s only been three weeks, that’s really not that long.  I’ve also been thinking a lot about flying home overnight for Stacey’s Wedding on June 4th.  I just can’t seem to find flights that fit within the limited time I have off, and if I do it’s crazy expensive.  Anyone have a spare private jet I can borrow for an overnight that weekend?  :)
 
As of this afternoon, I have 4 postures on deck in my head to just polish up and present this week.  I’d like to get triangle down tonight if I can stay awake after studying anatomy one last time before tomorrow’s test.  Bring on Week 4!


Standing Head to Knee with Smiling Happy Face

Camel Pose - The deepest backward bend of the entire series!

Northeast Mafia

In and Out Burger

Steve and Alex sure know how to host a great party!  Saturday Night Anatomy Study Group!

Also, Rajashree read this lovely poem to us one night after class.  I wanted to share...

The Invitation

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing. 

It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive. 

It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain! 

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it. 

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human. 

It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy. 

I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence. 

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”

It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children. 

It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back. 

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away. 

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kara! Still loving reading about your experience. Regarding the In-N-Out burgers, I know right?! They are so yummy. I think it's because it's real food that hasn't been frozen or overly processed. :) Also, I'd love to hear more about the vagus nerve. My mother has a medical condition that's affected by that nerve. What did you learn about it if you don't mind sharing? Hang in there and stay strong. You're doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite things - the number 12 and Vegas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. kara Gramm had a problem with vegas nerve too Remember when she passed out on way home from Italy on the plane?? It had to do with that nerve. sooo nice talking to you yesterday It made my mothers day complete !! Thank you Love you Mom xoxoxo Good Luck on week #4!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS Love that poem gets you to the core!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello! That's the poem that Jack and I had read at our wedding!

    ReplyDelete