Monday, April 25, 2011

Ashley Hunter you were right.

This morning’s letter I opened was from my cousin Christopher!  Yay!  Thank you so much Christopher!  I miss you a lot too and I can’t wait to see you this summer.  Love, Kara xoxo :) 

Half Moon Complete!  Let me see if I can come close to recapping the moment. 

The way it works, picture a great big (at least 6,000 square ft) rectangular lecture hall with the stage in the middle of the rectangle along the back wall.  There are five chairs to the right of the stage in the far corner that act as the holding spaces.  First, you’re called to the chairs, and wait in your group of five.  Then, you’re directed to the line besides the stage and wait.  It’s kind of like the process of going on a ride at Six Flags.  I was so happy and nervous waiting in both lines but remained calm.  Bikram is right up front taking it all in with his headset and cup of tea with honey.  I was watching him watching the students intensely.  Then, my eyes darted to the front row and I noticed some familiar comforting faces which put me at ease.

Now remember, there are 430 people in the room, (plus visiting teachers and staff), all in rows of chairs facing you, staring at you.  This particular posture is the most difficult one to learn and present, which is part of the reason it’s the only one we do for him.

Next!

Brandy went right before me.  She was awesome!  I was so happy for her!  I was smiling and cheering her on!  I knew she’d be great.  She didn’t miss one word, it was perfect dialogue! 

Next! 

I walk up the stairs to the stage and Brandy hands me the microphone.  ‘Good Afternoon, my name is.…I start to say and realize it’s not working.  Oh no, I think, please don’t make me do it without the microphone!  Someone comes to grab it and fix it, thank goodness!  In the meantime, Bikram went on to tell a story about how Portsmouth and Manchester are two of his favorite spots, something about a hotel in Laconia, something about mafia, something about how he is the boss of all the mafia, something stolen in the hotel, and how he wants to make a movie about it.  I was so nervous I was only half listening but smiling and nodding along.  My microphone comes, and then out of nowhere I ask, ‘If you film the movie in New Hampshire, Brandy and I will be in it’.  Okay!  He said, very enthusiastically!

Start Please…

Okay I think, here it is, remember Christopher's Letter this morning, take a deep breath, smile, and do what you know best!  ‘Half Moon Pose, Ardha Chandrasana, Everybody together, feet together at the line….’  I was shaking, nervous, sweating, and smiling but felt good, proud, and composed all at the same time.  The dialogue felt like it went on for hours!  I was soooo happy and pleased when I finished.  I looked straight at Bikram and waited patiently for the applause the end….

He looks very seriously at me and says….You are the definition of ‘smiling happy face’ Isn’t that in my dialogue?  I invented that line, I said that, in my dialogue, and you are the ‘smiling happy face’.  

Woah!  Thank you Boss I’ll take it!  I have to censor the next few things he said because my parents and family are reading :) but will fill you eventually in the future.  I remember responding to him ‘I’m not married’ then was up there for another story about how he is ‘the match maker’ and only 2 went wrong out of 1,000 matches he’s setup.  He ended shouting to the crowd ‘she’s available guys, get her number!!!’.  

What an experience.  It was so surreal.  I wish I had the train of thought to ask him about my dialogue and how I taught it.  I suppose if he didn’t like it he would have picked it apart and not try to marry me off.  I'll take it as a compliment. 

So Ashley Hunter, you were right :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh Kara I am so proud of you but not surprised at all! You truly are the definition of "smiling happy face." I want you to know that my practice has suffered lately due to some family issues I've been going through. Reading about your experience is inspiring me to get back on track NO MATTER WHAT. Thank you for that Kara. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I would love to see a photo of what this pose looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh miss kara.
    i tear up reading your posts.
    i'm so amazed by you - so inspired - so jealous you took the leap to follow your passion 100%!
    you're one of the most wonderful people i've accidentally met. i see your 'smiling happy face' every time i think of you and it comes across so fully in your blog posts.
    keep being so amazing.
    and if you get married off, I better get to photograph it <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shari - thank you for sharing that. You absolutely made my day. Just get in the hot room, you know what to do from there :)

    Erika - we're not allowed to take pictures just yet but I'll try to get one up here for you!

    Melissa - I'm so happy we accidentally met too! What a good story. Thank you for the kind words! No worries on me getting married off here, I didn't drink the 'kool-aid' like some might say :) Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete