Saturday, April 16, 2011

Trust the Process


About two years into my practice, I started thinking about how great it would be to teach this yoga.  I read about the program online with excitement but thought I could never do it.  How does anyone take nine weeks off of life to learn this stuff?  How do people afford it?  What about a ‘real’ job?  Is doing yoga twice a day possible?  I spoke with Pubali, our Studio Owner about it and took it all in.  At the time, I dismissed the idea as unrealistic and continued practicing with teaching in the back of my mind.

Over the next few years I continued to practice with enthusiasm.  I did my own 15 day challenge and then a 30 day challenge and kept my practice moving forward, strong and consistent. 

Fast forward to the beginning of March this year, I was at a conference for work.  Hold please (Burke!)…for those of you that don’t know, I had been working in Hotels in Sales and Conference / Event / Wedding Planning since I graduated college eight years ago.  I love this career, and perhaps may find my way back to it someday.

With my hotel background, I think I’ll likely be in the minority of the group wondering about the transient / group ratio, the group rate, the ADR, the comp set, the room rentals, the break-out space, the overnight holds, the registration, hanging banners, rooming lists, and all the event planning details that go behind planning a successful event. 
 
Anyway, so here I am at this conference, getting ready to hear from our afternoon guest speaker.  He owns a successful Team Building and Personal / Professional Growth company.  As I listened to his life story, his ‘why’, felt his passion for his work in his voice, I got to thinking…I’m not that passionate anymore about my work like he is.  What happened?  How did I stray and how do I get back?  Immediately it popped back into my brain, I need to be teaching yoga.  I decided that once I got home, I would email Pubali to see if she’d be willing to speak with me about it.

That night, we had a wonderful awards dinner, but my mind was distracted thinking about what I would say to Pubali.  I had already approached her about this years ago, will she take me seriously coming back a second time?  Will she be open to seeing me again?  Will she think I’m crazy considering the training starts next month?  When I got home and pulled up my emails, that very same evening, Pubali had sent out a mass email to the Bikram Yoga Manchester email list saying how much she loves when students approach her about becoming a teacher.  What!?  I wrote back, “Pubali, are you reading my mind?”  It was perfect timing.  We met a few days later, and I told her I needed to decide by the next day, as the deadline to apply was a week away. 

So I did.  I weighed all sides.  I thought about all the advice my teachers had given me over the years.  I had already asked around for their thoughts and not one discouraged the path of a Bikram Yoga Teacher.  Not one!  They said it would be hard, but I wouldn’t regret it.  I was scared and excited thinking about it.  I talked myself out of it, made excuses, made it easy in my mind to say no and avoid doing a hard thing, and then talked myself back into it.  The very next day I made the commitment to Pubali to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment