Saturday, April 16, 2011

From the Top: My First Bikram Yoga Experience


I remember my first Bikram Yoga Class like it was yesterday.  It was 2006, and I was 26 years old.  My best friend Stacey heard about this new hot yoga in town and thought it would make for a fun girls morning followed by lunch and shopping.  Sure, I thought, why not?  I’m in shape, I work out, I was a dancer my whole life, how hard could yoga be?  On we went, to the 9:30 am Tuesday morning class at Bikram Yoga Manchester.  Stacey, Angela, and I blindly put on our sweats and headed down.  

Maeghan greeted us at the desk and gave us the new student run down.  We setup our mats in the back row and immediately realized we were overdressed.  We all started the first part of class of okay but soon enough, I remember the looks we each passed to each other throughout the class like ‘Are you kidding me, you want me to do what!  Is this over yet!  What were we thinking!’.  We stayed silent and immediately left the room after final savasana and said ‘What the!!’.  We swore at that moment we’d never go back.   

Then, as the day went on and my mind processed what happened in that 90 minutes, I started to feel great.  Then amazing.  Then, next day, even better.  After saying I’d never walk through that door again, I starting getting curious.  Did that really happen?  Why do so many people do this yoga?  Are they crazy?  Why do I feel so good?  Sure enough, my curiosity brought me back, and I have been hooked ever since.

Stacey, I can't thank you enough for suggesting this life changing yoga.  I’m dedicating my journey to you.  I can’t imagine my life without yoga, and my life without you.  I’m hopeful the timing works so I can make an overnight trip from LAX to MHT during training to be present at your wedding.  Thank you for being the best, best friend, I never thought was possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment